Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Finding My Voice

Over the past two years I have felt a current start to swell within. Maybe it's my mid-30's, but I have started to feel much more comfortable in my own skin, speaking my truth, looking MY part, etc. I guess you can call it a shedding of fear.

For so long I kept my hair tamed, my clothes monochrome, and my voice behind my lips. That is not to say I didn't let my freak flag fly every now and then. And its not to say I didn't stand up for myself. Anyone who knows me in real life can attest to that.

No, it's more of a last layer of shell that needed to be peeled off. I feared being fired if I really wore my hair the way I wanted. Would lose Facebook friends if I really came forward as the feminist I am. Would be thought of as "too much", "too risky", "too outspoken" if I wrote the books I really wanted to write.

So here I am, faux-hawk at work, pitching a book for kids about Feminism. Another about a Flower Girl in an LGBT wedding. I have another in the works about how kids do not have to be polite when it comes to their own bodies and other people invading their space in any way.

This is my voice. I hope there are some listeners out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment